Thursday, September 13, 2007

Good flight this morning, looking better for Sunday

Sorry for the lateness of this post but the Northwood Center was packed today.

Went up to the dike this morning as it was evident that good numbers of birds were moving over night. I sat out on my back porch for a few minuets around 5:00 a.m. to listen to the birds flying over head. Actually was able to add a couple that I could identify to the yard list. Easy birds, Swainson's thrush and Veery. Also had a Great horned calling which was nice. Loads of zeeps, zips and others that I could not tell. Did hear what I was sure was a tanager but I forgot to ask Michael about what I heard, the sound to verify.

While there were good numbers of birds seen from the dike, the larger portion for the flight seemed to continue high over head. Sam pointed out that you could scan the sky as if you would hawk watching, and at times you couldn't help but pick up tens of birds at a time.

There were a few Connecticut warblers flying past. What kills me was the first one flew by, close, and before anyone called it out I was thinking to my self, this could be a Connecticut warbler. Just then Richard called out the bird and I have still yet to get the look I am looking for. Maybe on Sunday.

So, if you were not able to get out today, make plans to get out Sunday! I haven't looked at the weather yet today but it's looking promising.

After the dike I took a very quick spin around the first filed at Higbee's. As I suspected not much hanging in the trees. I did hear that there were at least a couple of Connecticut warblers found in the woods today. It's that time! So, it seems that some out there had a good day of watching some birds.

The list from my very short (40 min.) walk at Higbee is below.


Location: Higbee Beach
Observation date: 9/13/07
Number of species: 25

Laughing Gull 3
Mourning Dove 2
Northern Flicker 1
Least Flycatcher 1
White-eyed Vireo 4
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Carolina Chickadee 2
Tufted Titmouse 2
Red-breasted Nuthatch 5
Carolina Wren 6
House Wren 1
Veery 4
American Robin 2
Cedar Waxwing 4
Magnolia Warbler 1
Black-throated Blue Warbler 6
Black-and-white Warbler 5
American Redstart 12
Ovenbird 1
Common Yellowthroat 1
Field Sparrow 4
Northern Cardinal 4
Indigo Bunting 1
Bobolink 35
Common Grackle 6

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)

No comments: