Friday, January 4, 2013

Starting Out...

The turn of a New Year always gets me into that age-old routine - starting a new year list. I first kept a year list in 1975 (I know, old or what?!!) and believe it or not, I have kept one every year since then. But dwelling on this last night, led me to think not about the whole issue of year listing, but about starting out. Not just starting a year list, but actually starting birdwatching. For me, it was a very different process to most people - I never actually made the decision to 'start' birdwatching, I morphed into it at such an early age that it just became part of life for me.

Thus, I have never really known what it must be like to decide to take up birdwatching - though I probably came close on some of my past trips to places like southern Brazil or the Eastern Himalayas - where you wake up on the first morning and have absolutely no idea what any of the sounds are that you can hear! However, having been privileged to spend a large chunk of my life leading walks, workshops and tours for birders, I have gained an idea of just how daunting - even intimidating - that first day can be. For me, there was little help at hand and I took whatever leads I could get to help me, but for people these days, there are any number of outlets and, indeed, perhaps now there are so many offers of help that those offers in themselves become daunting!!

Well, help really is at hand - and soon! February sees the start of a new workshop, put together and run by our very own Pete Dunne. Break Into Birding is a two-day workshop on February 16th and 17th and offers a great opportunity to get together with like-minded folks. The workshop is based on a very popular session that Pete has run in the past and is backed with many years of practical experience. Now, if you are already a regular reader of our blog, you may feel that you don't need to take a beginners course - but such a course makes an ideal gift to give to a partner, relative or friend - someone to share a lifetime passion with. For more information about this great course, contact Chris Tonkinson at (609) 861-0700.

Perhaps the most wonderful thing about birding is that birds are everywhere and you can very much take the hobby to your own level. Perhaps the vast majority of people are happy simply to provide shelter and good habitat for birds in their own yards, but we all need that initial help to get us started. Many people get great pleasure from enjoying common birds such as this Tufted Titmouse...

... or you might go to even greater heights, travelling the world to enjoy such improbable birds as the Diademed Sandpiper-plover in the high Andes...

...or even becoming an expert on all those tedious little brown jobs - any guesses what this strange thing is?! [Photos by Mike Crewe]

But for now, here's a fun thing to ponder over a hot coffee - how many duck species can you find in this picture, taken at the state park recently by Kimberley Meszaros (click on the picture for a larger version).